mimosa time

mimosa time

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Lime

And so it begins. Instead of waiting to publish all of these bad boys at once, here we go. I've been waiting for longer than a year to go to Lime. All the hub-bub and talk around Lime made me anxious to try the ever-so-hard-to-get-into spot. After two years of aggressively brunching, I was ready for the ultimate: dance club meets mimosa. You're probably wondering, was it good, was it good!? I'm building it up for a reason--for a year I wanted to go here! And finally I got to go... and... it was not that impressive. 


The breakdown: 
Pourability: 6/10
For $7 dollars you can get bottomless mimosas--and they do keep them coming. The problem is a. they're so orange juice based it would take you a million mimosas to feel a buzz, b. despite the bottomless portion you're never going to see a carafe on your table (even if you ask) and c. TIME LIMIT. After an hour and a half they boot you from your table. You're welcome to stay, but after that your mimosas are smaller and are going to cost you 3 bucks a pop. 


Ambiance: 6/10 
It's hip that's for sure. Early on in the day (we had 10:30 reservations) it's still very, very bright and white though. The wait staff is all fairly attractive, but all very aware they work at Lime--too busy to hold down a personal conversation with anyone at our table. After we were kicked from our table we stood in the "dance" portion of the bar for a little while, but it was so packed we kept spilling mimosa. 


Food: 6/10 
Nothing impressive. Lots of bacon options for my bacon loving friends. The eggs were slightly over cooked and flavors pretty bland. 


TOTAL SCORE: 18/30


whoomp, whooomp, whooomp! I'm so depressed by this! It made me realize that a reputation for crazy times doesn't ensure those times will be had. The people and the place make the experience and unless you know the waitstaff you're going to feel very forced into a fake sort of fun. If you're brunching in SF there are a million other places I'd go first. 


This all being said--it was still a brunch and good quality time with friends in town. So glad that three of my best friends were here to experience the first of these posts!  




1 comment:

  1. I am in complete agreement about this post. I was graced by an invite to Lime from a peripheral friend who made a reservation months in advance, and six of us were crammed in a small white plastic (albeit trendy) booth, ready to socialize with our cool waiter who clearly did not have the time or interest to entertain us. Lots of downing mimosas in between refills so we could get a couple glasses per waiter-visit. As a self-proclaimed bacon expert, I ordered the "Plain Jane" (I think)... who can mess up bacon and scrambled eggs? Bacon wasn't disappointing per se, but not remotely impressive, nor was the Lime experience as a whole.

    Would I have been as disappointed if it hadn't been so hyped up? Probably not. But a two-month-in-advance reservation should come with more than an interesting people-watching crowd and a 1.5-hour time limit.

    ReplyDelete